I had a powerful thought while I was running. So, about a month ago I was out on an early morning run. That morning I set my alarm for probably 5:30 or 6:00. I distinctly remember wanting to turn off the alarm, and roll back over to go to sleep. But I pushed myself out of bed and went anyways. While I was running, the thought came to me of the importance of all the little decisions we make. The little things that don't seem very big, but added all up seem to be or mean a lot. I thought how simple it would've been to have turned off the alarm and roll back over and gone back to sleep. I wouldn't have known what I missed out on, since I didn't do the run. I'm sure the sleeping in would've felt great and somehow I would've justified to myself how I needed the sleep. But deep down however I would've felt guilty, and the effects of that choice would have had an impact on me in someway or another. While I was running, I was so glad I was out there! It felt great! it was a beautiful morning, and it felt empowering! Right then it had occurred to me that the simple choice of just getting out of bed and doing the run was part of the preparation needed, to prepare me for the bigger race (a half marathon, at the beginning of Aug.) which at the time seemed, or felt far off. But regardless of whether or not I decided to get out of bed and do the run, the day of the race would come (probably much quicker than I thought). In preparing for this race I start out with small 2-3 mile runs. Then 3 turns into 5, 5 turns into 6, 7,8,9,10 and so on. Each time I run it gets me prepared for the next bigger run. And though it seems like no big deal that I missed a 2 or 3 mile run, it adds up. And the more I miss, the easier it is to miss the next time. And the harder the next run will feel. But on the flip side, each time I run and get the run in (even though it doesn't seem like a big deal)I am preparing myself. I am getting stronger. It is the little runs that I get in that make up the ability to do the "bigger" runs in the future. At the time I am making the "little choices", it is preparing me for the "big affects" or consequences (good or bad) later on. It made me realize that all the little decisions I am making right now in my life have an impact on me whether I realize it or not. And it probably won't be until much later I realize what that impact ends up being. These "little" choices are what build our character, and strengthen us eventually to someday meet God, as well as our Savior. Will I have built a character strong enough to stand in His/Their presence? This question above any I feel will determine my preparedness..."What have I done today??". What I have done today will tell me in which direction I am headed. What I have done today, most likely I will do tomorrow, and the next day, and eventually will head me in the direction of what I will be doing 5 years from now and so on. The effects will be powerful. So let me pose this question not only to myself, but to each of us..."What are we doing today?", where are you at right now? what are the "little" decisions you are, or are not making? Am I prepared to meet life's challenges? more importantly...Am I prepared to meet God?? If I crossed the finish line today, have I made all the little runs to get me through the finish line? Will I have the peace knowing I have prepared?
I don't know if I've justly described the experience I had. It was a very powerful and enlightening one. It helped me to view in a different light, the power of the small stuff. It is not the big decisions, but all of the little ones we make that create what and who we become. I know that the Savior will come, He will return. I don't know when. I only know that He will. I want to be prepared for when that day comes. I want His image in my countenance, so that He will recognize me as His. I want to cross the finish line and stand in His presence knowing I made all my small runs.
Tuesday, July 15, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




11 comments:
Char,
You really shoud be an inspirational/motivational speaker. Seriously, I loved this post.
Thanks Allie!!
The post is fantastic, great job. By the way, I have a friend that was on my blog, and clicked on the link to yours...she said that your family is so beautiful that your family picture looks like one the comes in a new picture frame when you buy it. Now that she has mentioned it I think she's right. Smart, Funny, and Beautiful! If you need me to contiue to list all the wonderful things about you just let me know...:) Have a great day!
Oh Eden, I love you, you are so funny!! you remembered about the wonderful things...I miss you more everyday. I read your blog and realize how much fun we would have if we lived closer to eachother =). Not to mention I might get more "wonderful things" listed. I have to say I feel the exact same way about you (Smart, Funny, & Beautiful...and the children you produce c'mon!). You know I just might take you up on the continuation of the list of wonderful things. Maybe a day when I really feel like a piece of crap!
Char,
Loved this post. I had been checking your blog daily looking for something that would top an ode to Homey. This was a great post and a great reminder to all of us the importance of daily decisions and being worthy of the spirit so we make the better decision each time. I love you and miss you!
What a great parable especially now when there is literally no time to waste anymore! I feel so empowered now that I am getting our food storage together...we are getting prepared! Hooray! Little choices LIFE SAVING RESULTS!
You are such a nerd Ty!!
Wow, I like it. Very deep. Love you!!
Great post...love those experience and what a blessing to have it recorded where you will be able to remind yourself when you start to forget. That's what is great about journaling...I think we would forget a lot of really important messages with out them!
HI! Thanks for dropping in to my blog, you are welcome anytime! Isn't Eden just one of the greatest people/friends you've ever met? She is a treasure! I love your thoughts about how you have to do the little things to prepare for the big things, so true! Thanks for sharing your testimony, I loved it! Your family is just gorgeous. BTW, still laughing/mourning the obituary of Homey! Good luck in your investigation!
Char,
You are such an amazing person! I am so glad that we have become such great friends and I get to hear your inspirations every day that enrich my life. You are such a good person and I love to be around you. Let's keep running and cross that finish line.
Post a Comment